There are those times when I just can’t write. I may even have great ideas in my head but they get stuck like the glue bottle with the big glue booger in it that won’t come out.
Reasons why I can’t write:
- My head is too full
- My head is empty
- My life is too busy to stop and write
- Not enough sleep
Ways to get myself started again:
- Sleep (sometimes it’s not going to happen)
- Wait until everything calms down
- Squeeze in my writing anywhere I can – Evernote app is great for this
- Read books, watch inspiring movies and TV, read manga (I think of it as recharging my writing batteries)
- Get some time alone
Sometimes these still don’t work. What do you do?
Kate, unless there is something urgent – urgently calling to be done, or someone who needs me right now, I just try to write anyway, despite feeling like I can’t. This might be likened to snipping off the narrow end of the glue bottle!
This may not be helpful; I’m just returning to old advice: write anyway! It’s hard to believe that someone as disciplined, prolific, and productive as you has these moments, but you obviously do.
I talk to the Lord, listen to fabulous music (for me these are incredibly helpful).
Blessings to you, young Mother!!