My chores list for self-publishing my book (X indicates finished):
- Write the book (this took 5 months but it was bare-bones) X
- Get 6 or more friends to read the manuscript and give me feedback and work the book over (8 months) X
- Find an editor and give her the manuscript–I posted a request on Facebook and a social website and found several within a few hours! Thanks Kathleen and Kathryn! X
- Find a cover artist–my social website was full of these guys and I found two great artists who are working as a team on my cover. I can’t wait to see what you are cooking up Heidi and Erik! X
- Choose a pen name X
- Establish an email address, a WordPress site, a Facebook profile, and Twitter account for my pen name and a Facebook profile for my book.(3 days) X
- Sign up on CreateSpace with my pen name and new email. X
- Work with my cover artists to fine-tune the cover. X
- Once my editor has finished, implement her changes to my manuscript. X (This took a lot longer than I thought. I reccommend having a deadline whether or not you need your book quickly.)
- Finalize contracts with my editor and cover artists. X
- Publish my book on CreateSpace. CreateSpace provides an ISBN number for my book. X (Complicated and easy at the same time!)
- Register my copyright at http://copyright.gov/ . This can be done online and there is a small fee. X (Still have to mail in a copy.)
- Publicity, publicity, publicity. (This is what the WordPress site and Facebook profile are for!)
- Submit my book to popular book blogs for them to review.
- Possibly publish my book on additional publishing sites.
- Resarch appropriate websites and expand my web presence for publicity.
Here is a great checklist (simpler than mine) and a comprehensive website about self-publishing complete with extra services you can buy if any of this is too much for you.